Premier League star arrested on suspicion of two new rape attacks

A prominent Premier League footballer arrested on suspicion of rape has been further quizzed over separate alleged attacks on a different woman last year, Telegraph Sport understands.

The player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been bailed until August after spending around 30 hours in custody being quizzed over three alleged attacks.

Telegraph Sport revealed on Monday how the player had been arrested in the early hours over an alleged rape which had been said to have taken place last month.

In an updated statement, Scotland Yard said: “On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police. It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody.

“While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s. He has been released on bail to a date in August. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.”

The club has been contacted by Telegraph Sport and is aware the player is being questioned. Police said the man had initially been arrested “at an address in Barnet”.

The player is internationally renowned and it is unclear whether he will now play in his club’s pre-season fixture schedule.

The Premier League season begins on August 5 and the player is also due to play at the World Cup in Qatar this November.

More to follow…

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.