Former Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson expects new signing Richarlison to play in ‘three or four positions’ for his new team in the upcoming campaign.
The former Everton man has been handed the No.9 shirt in north London, although Robinson believes not much can be read into the Brazilian wearing a number normally associated with a central striker.
Spurs coughed up £60million to land the attacker from the Toffees this summer. But since then there has been plenty of debate as to where Richarlison fits into Antonio Conte’s forward line.
The 25-year-old follows Gareth Bale, Vincent Janssen and Roberto Soldado in taking the No.9. And while Bale will rightly go down as a club legend, the less said about the other two the better.
And when asked by Football Insider the significance of Richarlison Being the club’s new No.9, Robinson said: “Richarlison is a statement signing.
“It shows Spurs are wanting to compete. It shows that Spurs want to compete in the Champions League. It’s a real show of intent.
“I don’t think you can read too much into the fact that he has been given the number nine shirt. I don’t think he is going to play as an out-and-out nine.
“He is a big signing for Spurs because he can play anywhere across the front three. I think we’ll see him rotate in three or four positions.
Richarlison an adaptable presence
“He is a brilliant player. His attitude is brilliant. He scored vital goals in an Everton side that struggled last season. It was a very, very difficult situation and he stood up to be counted. That attitude he brings is great.
“I think he will play in three or four positions if the manager sticks with the same system. It will be Harry Kane and two either side.
— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) July 5, 2022
“Richarlison gives Conte the opportunity to change things around.”
Tottenham‘s new attacker looks set to make his debut for the club on the South Korea tour.
The north London club are on their way to Son Heung-min’s homeland and face ‘Team K-League’ on July 13.
Richarlison’s Premier League debut will not come in the season opener against Southampton though.
The Brazilian is banned for that clash for a flare incident at Goodison Park last season. He should therefore make his league bow at Chelsea the following week.
READ MORE: Jack Clarke agrees a four-year deal to quit Spurs and join EFL club