Emma Raducanu set to miss Eastbourne as she battles to be fit for Wimbledon | Emma Raducanu

Emma Raducanu is expected to miss the Eastbourne International as her race to be fit and free of injury for Wimbledon continues.

Raducanu had not initially entered Eastbourne, but after her first scan on the side injury she suffered at the Nottingham Open, she was hopeful of recovering in time to request a wildcard into the final warm-up tournament before Wimbledon. The deadline for requesting a wildcard is Friday and she will make a decision on the morning itself. However, it is understood that Raducanu is unlikely to make the request.

In the opening match of her grass-court season against Viktorija Golubic in Nottingham on 7 June, Raducanu suffered an injury that forced her to retire early in the first set. After the match, she said that she had not entered the match with a problem and it had occurred in the very first game. Raducanu said she would endeavor to remain positive as she believes she is training well and doing everything she can give herself a chance.

In a season that has already been defined by the frequent injuries she has picked up along the way, a grass-court campaign beset by another new injury is an unwelcome obstacle. These weeks were supposed to mark a great homecoming for the 19-year-old in her first matches on home soil since she won the US Open last year.

At Queen’s, Ryan Peniston continued his impressive breakout run at as he reached his first career ATP quarter-final in his tour-level debut, recovering from a break down in the final set to outlast Francisco Cerundolo 6-0, 4-6, 6 -4 and advance at the ATP 500 event.

“I don’t think I will wake up from this any time soon,” said Peniston, who noted that he will unwind by eating the same Italian food he has opted for all week and by watching Love Island. “I took a lot of confidence from the last match and came out all guns blazing. The second set didn’t go to plan because he is a great player. I just managed to fight in the third set and got there.”

Ryan Peniston after his victory over Francisco Cerundolo at Queen’s. Photograph: Free/TPN/Getty Images

Peniston, who is 26 but played his first full season in 2019 after spending his early years competing in college, noted his ATP debut by defeating top seed and French Open finalist Casper Ruud in the opening round. He carried all of that momentum into his second match, breezing through the opening set without dropping a game.

After the match had turned and Cerundolo’s greater experience came to the surface, Peniston recovered from a 2-4 third-set deficit, winning the final four games of the match and clinching victory with a bold winning forehand return.

Having entered the tournament ranked No 180, Peniston will rise to a new career-high ranking of at least around 145 next week. He will have the chance to continue his quick development at Wimbledon after he received a wildcard. Peniston will face Filip Krajinovic in the quarter-final here on Friday after Krajinovic defeated Sam Querrey 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

“To be honest, I didn’t envisage myself being the last Brit. We have such good players in Britain, but now that I am, I’ll take confidence and just try to keep it rolling,” said Peniston.

Rafael Nadal will host a press conference on Friday afternoon in Mallorca, where he has been training on the grass courts since he had a radiofrequency ablation procedure on his chronically injured foot. Nadal, 36, is likely to announce a decision on his participation at Wimbledon.

Serena Williams, meanwhile, touched down in London before her return to competition for the first time since Wimbledon last year. Williams, 40, is due to compete at Eastbourne in doubles with Ons Jabeur before returning in singles at Wimbledon.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.